- Maintaining your filing system
Maintaining your filing system
Maintaining Your Filing System – 15 Easy Steps
- Update your File Plan Policies and procedures regularly i.e. File Plan amendments.
- File documents exactly as instructed by the File Plan & File Hierarchy to avoid any duplication’s.
- Record and update your File Hierarchy when files are moved to a new location.
- Remove archived files and obsolete files / documentation regularly to optimize your space.
- Keep archived files and obsolete files / documentation regularly to optimize your space.
- Audit your filing system regularly to identify and remedy any misfiled information
- Insert an index sleeve/card when a file is removed. This will show which files have been removed, by whom and when the file will be returned.
- Record in a database all personnel accessing files.
- File used files back into the system promptly. Guideline is 24 hours.
- File away newly opened files promptly.
- Limit access to the centralized filing area to avoid possible misfiling or theft.
- Ensure filing stock and stationary is available for daily or ad hoc filing.
- Keep your filing area tidy and neat, to ensure a more efficient filing environment.
- Make filing a part of your daily office administration duties.
- Train all staff regularly on your filing system design. Include senior personnel and those not tasked with filing. It is imperative that everyone within the organisation knows where to find information.